Preparatory B (from 3 to 5). Lesson 8
Your FREE Demo version is here
Your full version access is here
Is your experience with teaching your child music and piano nice and smooth?
Today we will try to learn how to ware different 'hats' being a mom and a teacher at the same time.
For a small child mom – is someone nurturing and taking care of, and a teacher – is someone, who is giving instructions. This is why your child can play up and show off with parents and to be shy, intimidated but cooperative with a teacher.
This is where all the problems of the home schooling come from and sometimes it is way too overwhelming for the parents. Do not be afraid! Merely try to remember simple rules:
1. Make the impersonation into a teacher and a student a ‘ritual’. For instance, change clothes ‘for school’ or place in your home ‘to enter to our classroom’. You also may buy a little bell and make it as a signal for starting the class. It would be also very helpful to ask your baby to wash his/her hands and comb his/her hair ‘for the classes.’
2. Change the tone of your communication. Now you are a Teacher. Please, forget all these nice nicknames for a while. О ласковых прозвищах надо забыть на некоторое время. Treat your child with respect, but do not be harsh.
3. Try do not ask: would you like to play with cards? Just give your student an option to choose. Offer nor more than 2 choices! But the best way is to simply captivate your child’s interest with your own enthusiasm. ‘Music cards – wow! It is so cool! Would you like to play?’
4. Use specific levers of encouragement. If ‘ you are great!’ – let it be a sticker or color figure from construction paper. Always try to find an unexpected opportunity for the encouraging.
For example, your child calmed down and got focused. You give him a ‘present’ and abruptly say: wow! You’ve got concentration! Give the presents for anything: when child stopped talking, became perceptive, stopped wiggling, played one note correctly. This process should be like crocheting or knitting needles: ANY positive moment should be used as a an eyelet for the future growth.
5. Always finish your lessons BEFORE your child got tired and preferably at the most exciting moment.
6. Do not be afraid of stamping on one place. In teaching young children the most important goal is not the result of learning, but maintenance of the desire to learn.
7. If your child is preoccupied with something and doesn’t want to start the class, try to win his attention with your colorful ‘music money’. Get construction paper and make 'butterflies' or 'flags' for that and 'pay' your child for every task that he/she had accomplished for you.
8. If this is not helping either, get yourself to the instrument , learn a piece and give yourself a ‘flag’. Don’t give your spot up to your child immediately after requesting, if asked. You have to send him/her a message that classes are important to you too. Teach your child to value your time. When you are about to end your session, say: ‘Now we are mom and daughter/son again! Let’s count our 'music money' and convert them into real presents! What to use for the presents is up to you.
Keep working on the «Spookie Wind Song». Trying to play the exercise with both hands.
Watch another video sample from one of the students of Soft Mozart Academy:
2. Hide the notes with pictures down by 2 and by 3
Video example of a student:
1. Keep mastering the performance of Hot Cross Buns with and without computer
2. French Song - start memorizing. Playing R and RH, L - LH, P - PH
3. Music Sight - Reading: keep practicing E. Humperdinck “Slumber Song” из альбома Favorite Classics Primer. Ask your child/student to sing solfegio notes.
Search the Internet for another interpretation of Humperdinck's music or listen to the one we have suggested for you.
Keep listening and watching the story "What it takes to make mistakes?"
Visit our Soft Mozart forum and start your progress diary here. Use the current year section. This is the place for you to ask questions and share your experiences.
At least 2 photos and 1-2 videos of the listed activities will count towards your child's credits for the graduation DIPLOMA. Please upload the video to You Tube, copy the address from the BROWSER window and paste it into your Progress Diary. Do not forget to indicate the year and type of work in the description of your Soft Mozart Academy photo / video.
Would you like to receive lessons by email weekly? Subscribe to the e-mail lesson here:
Always check here, if we have any recital! You and your child will benefit a lot from participating in our concerts!
Your place to start your progress diary is here.